Thursday, April 17, 2014

Never Say Never!

Some time back, a movie starring Shahid Kapoor and Genelia D’Souza had released titled, Chance pe Dance. No, I am not going to talk about the movie but the concept called chance pe dance or grab the opportunity when it walks up to you.

If you happen to ask my parents or any other family members, what is that word that I use the most during the entire day, there are two of them, ‘no’ and ók’. No is probably the first word that I learnt to speak and use in situations and ok is when I have to respond to people while they talk and I listen. No is used by me when I am in my laziest self and have been assigned some work like cleaning the room, have the food that I hate the most, etc. or when I have to act ignorant about a particular situation.

Saying no in uncertain harmless situations is alright but not always. The trick here is to understand when to use the word and not let off any potential good opportunity that might be knocking at your door. It could be a luck also but using your senses is more important in such cases. Let me cite one such situation for you.

I am quite an introvert when it comes to huge social gatherings. The other side of this is that I love listening to random conversations as well but well, may not participate always. So, when I was about to start my Fourth Semester of my post-graduation degree, I saw most of my friends doing internships and working with publication and news agencies. I also wanted to do something but the will power was very low, may be due to inhibitions, fear or sheer laziness. However, a friend who was trying for a suitable job gave me a contact of a new start-up company which was looking out for writers and preferably with a journalism background. I was told, there’s no harm in going and meeting them, it helps in building your professional network. I gave it a thought, had a brief discussion at home and called them back. I was asked to meet them on a certain morning and see, whether I will fit the job or not. I went there, dressed as nicely I could, walked in and spoke to them. Things, luckily, fell into place quite easily and I was hired for the job. My first job where I will be paid for my efforts and work hours! My first job that set the path for my gradual professional growth and economic independence.

Here, the situation could have turned some other way round due to a few other factors:
a.       I was scared and didn’t want to take up a job and face a whole new world
b.      My dissertation paper had to be prepared and needed equal effort and time as I would dedicatedly give to my job; and will ensure I get the best grades
c.       The fact that you’ll have to wake up every morning and rush to office was a mood dampener anyways

But I chose to dance on the chance that I got. I realised, quite some time later, one should not say never at any given point of time. The way these opportunities come, they can turn our lives around with one quick decision. It may not be good at all times, but still, you never know, what’s waiting for you and your future! So, never say never is a lesson that I learnt and try to use it as often as I can.


I am linking this post to A to Z Challenge #Day 14 for alphabet N. 

1 comment:

  1. That was a good lesson you learnt and shared!

    ReplyDelete




Debjani Baidyaray