Thursday, April 17, 2014

Mom and my equation!

Initially, I thought I will save this post for Mother’s Day but then thought, let me write about my mom and me here for this challenge and another post can follow on that day itself.

A new trend in social media is that of creating memes on different things and I happened to visit this page where the person has collected all the wonderful letters written by children to their mommies. Their emotions and innocence that reflected on the letters did make me laugh quite a bit but also took me through the memory lane. I am not going to write about my mom or how good she is, but how over time our equation changed.

During childhood, you cannot do anything but listen to the mother and her instructions to do any task. You are physically and emotionally dependent on her and your existence is due to her. Even if you have a father and siblings, you cannot imagine taking a step without her. The same happened with me also. I have always been a very obedient child and followed instructions given to me, with occasional no’s here and there. The no would come when I was asked to study or practise math and that sounded more like a punishment or play the keyboard instead of watching TV or even wake up in the morning when the time just felt like apt for another round of sleep. These were the times when Ma appeared to be a strict woman and who only knew how to control her daughter and scold for no valid reasons.

Then came a phase when the realisation set that I have grown up to study on my own (graduation and post-graduation) and she only required to ask me about the books and studies occasionally to check if I am not ignoring completely. This was the time when I first felt that she’s not that strict after all and allows me to hang out with friends, shop clothes, go out for movies or return home late after a city wide pandal hopping during Durga Puja. I was only asked to keep her informed about my whereabouts. She was now more of a friend with whom I could joke around and play pranks on (earlier I never dared due to fear!).

Now came a phase when I completed my studies and started working. For a fresher, it is always difficult to cope with the corporate and office habitat because they are an inch same as the places you’ve been to earlier. So I was facing all the problems and needed a punching bag to bounce off my anger, fear and depression when I got scolded or the editor rejected a story. Ma turned out to be one because she was the only one who knew how to be diplomatic and yet, tell me what to do and how to get back with a positive outlook towards the situations. And as time pass by, our equation has now become that of a friend than of a mother-daughter. I can gossip about affairs, television and movie couples, joke on her, play pranks over the phone and irritate her by provoking to take up arguments on things such as why she chose yellow for my room and a bright nice purple for her room and why she supports TMC and stuff like that.

It’s true that you don’t realise the worth of a relationship until you experience it fully. Our relationship is god-gifted and hence, we are a couple for a lifetime. Good phases and bad, we experience it all together and bring about a transition in each other’s characters.

I am linking my post to A to Z Challenge #Day 13 for alphabet M.

  

1 comment:




Debjani Baidyaray