Monday, April 14, 2014

Kochuri & Aloo r Torkari

In one of my earlier posts, I have mentioned about my weakness towards ice creams and other junk foods. Well, high time for a confession, I guess. I am a foodie, a junk foodie!

I have a deep unconditional love for certain food items, some traditional and some just like that ones. Out of the traditional ones, I swear by kochuri and aloo r torkari or aloo r dam. These are two typical Bengali delicacies that are popular breakfast items for the many morning walkers in the city (Kolkata), as well as stop over and get energised snacks on the go type food. For me, it works both ways.

Kochuris are the stuffed version of luchi. Luchis are deep fried Indian flatbreads prepared with maida/refined flour/all-purpose flour that is typical to Bengali cuisine along with Assamese, Oriya and Maithili. The dough is kneaded with oil or ghee and water to ensure its fluffy when fried. Luchis make me go weak on knees at any given point of time and I am known in the family for eating only luchi and cholar dal (split Bengal gram or chana dal) and aloo r dum or Dum Aloo at any occasion and brutally ignoring the others in the row. Yeah, that happens even now also when I am not in sane self! J

So, these stuffed luchis or Kochuris come in varieties such as Koraishutir Kochuri (green peas stuffed luchis), Hing r Kochuri (asafoetida flavoured luchis), Radha ballavi (lentils stuffed luchis) and Chhatu r Kochuri (fried sattoo stuffed luchis). These are all eaten with the typical Bengali style cooked aloo r torkari (spicy potato sabzi) or Dum aloo (spicy and dry potato sabzi). All of these varieties are occasionally prepared at my home or I get to eat them when I get invited (they know what I love to eat, I guess perks of being vocal about fondness for certain foods). But the real attraction lies somewhere else!
Image credit: mellownspicy.com

Image credit: bhalokhabo.blogspot.com

Kolkata or West Bengal or rather Bengalis are known all across the globe for the sweets and snacks. They are a part of our core identity. We are by default the sweet people! So, the city is ruled by sweetshops at every nook and corner and some big brands like KC Das, Banchharam have ventured outside Kolkata to bring these delicacies to other cities and countries. I have a few favourite places whose kochuris are must haves whenever I am at Kolkata They are radhaballavi from Balaram Mallick, Hing r kochuri from the stalls in Deshapriya Park opposite to Monalisa Guest House and Sharma’s, Koraishutir Kochuri from KC Das and other shops (since this is a winter delicacy, almost all the shops make them during this time), and the chhatur kochuri that my mom makes. It’s fun to stand and eat at the shops whenever you are passing by or missed your lunch or in mood to have a nice snack.

Well, there it is. My confession. J

I am linking this post to A to Z Challenge #Day 11 for alphabet K.



3 comments:

  1. This concept (stuffed luchis) seems to be quite popular with dosas also. You now get 'masala dosa' with various kinds of 'masala' instead of the traditional potato 'masala'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouth watering :) I will try this out the next time I travel to Kolkata.
    Good luck with the rest of the challenge
    http://themagicquill.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete




Debjani Baidyaray