Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Healthcare Communications

In some of my earlier posts, you must’ve noticed that I have mentioned my career details. I have a Master’s Degree in Communication and Journalism from one of India’s most reputed universities and have been working in the same field till date. I started my career was a writer for an online portal that specialized in healthcare, followed by authoring editorials for a reputed business magazine on retail industry for a leading business magazine group. The third stop of my career was at a reputed healthcare provider company to manage their external and internal communications and now, my role is that of a communications manager for a leading MNC’s healthcare vertical.

Yes. By far, I have mostly worked in the sphere of healthcare and occasionally dabbling in other zones with additional assignments. Although as a child I wanted to become a doctor mainly for the respect that they get for treating people, the same never materialized professionally. But somehow, the urge to work for the healthcare remained within and the secret desire got its approval from God, I guess. Starting from the first job till the one that I am doing now, my involvement with healthcare has been through knowledge sharing.
Initially, reading and writing about healthcare seemed tough and definitely scary. Diabetes, heart disease, cholesterol, calorie management, everything took a toll on my mind and I suddenly started linking everything with healthcare. Of course, my clients were my mom and the entire elderly generation at home and their only response used to be, you are going crazy! For heaven’s sake, don’t take your work so seriously that you end up being crazy. After a stint of one and half years, I took a detour and wrote on retail industry and business. It was then that I realized, whatever I read and learnt in my first job had increased my knowledge on healthcare, made me sane and helped me take informed decisions.

Healthcare communications is a niche genre. It is not only about what or when to eat, how much to exercise or how to avoid getting sick. It is about sharing the core and basic information and logic behind each and every action regarding your health. It is an absolute necessity that we understand our body type and what works on it the best. It is a fact that our health is the most ignored thing and it certainly deserves to be taken care of properly.

Keeping in mind the evolution in the mind-set of the people today, messages regarding healthcare are not communicated in a difficult and scary way. The content today is more reader friendly with information shared in customized manner. There are dedicated web portals for pregnant ladies, new mothers and toddlers, heart or diabetes. You can look for information that you need and stay aware.

If you haven’t started bothering about your health and do not realize the importance of taking care of it, it is high time now. For health is truly the most precious wealth that one can possess.

I am linking this post to A to Z Challenge #Day 8 for alphabet H.



No comments:

Post a Comment




Debjani Baidyaray