Monday, April 14, 2014

Junk and Me

There is a good and a bad side of everyone. They may not necessarily lead you to become a split personality character but they do define you and make you who you are. While the good side makes you earn appreciation and feel good and happy, the bad side may at times turn things around.

I do not have any bad sides as such except for the immense love for junk items. Junk food, junk jewellery, junk and funky looking items and junk clothes (as referred by the mother). I am being absolutely modest here. I have other ill habits as well but let’s not talk about them here.

So, junk food. Yes. Burger, chips, ice creams, chocolates, fried food from the road side stalls like rolls, chowmein, phuchka or pani puri, bhel and jhal muri, etc and etc. I have no hesitations in having packaged noodles like Maggi and pasta for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I know these are not really good for the health and I should eat more of home cooked green and other vegetables and fruits, these simply draw me towards them and make me commit a sin and pray for mercy. Well, I do take care that I do not end up surviving on junk food too much and these are times, when I try preparing a healthy version of the junk just to satisfy my hunger and inner desire. You know, your soul should be at peace for you to be peaceful in front of the world. ;)

Then comes junk jewellery. This is one department I am completely clueless about yet, I simply love having them. If you’ve read my earlier posts, I belong to a huge gang of sisters and aunts in my family, the female brigade. So, right from childhood, make up and dressing up and jewelleries were no strangers for me. I was gifted a box of funky looking hair clips at the age of four that had days written on them, corns, flowers and chocolates, all in different colours and shapes. I used to wear after matching them with my dress, self-made bead neckpieces and cute little bags to go along with. Quite a fashion diva I was! J The traits and the habits remained and I end up collecting junk jewelleries even now. The only change that has happened, I do not get to wear them very often because the corporate world doesn’t allow long earrings and big bead necklaces.  

My mom only has one complaint against that refuses to die. That I fill my room, every corner of it, with junk that I don’t need or will never need. Like branded tags from the new clothes, pepsi bottle with a autograph of Sachin Tendulkar or the merchandise I bought during the release of Lagaan and had Aamir Khan’s autograph on each of them, and many such things. Yes, I don’t need them now or in the future, but I love having them. Some of them get thrown out every six or eight months, but the best ones get to stay. Like I stacked newspapers with interesting news to be made into a scrap book, but never happened. The reason being, the paper turned red and my mom gave me an ultimatum of throwing them away.

Junk clothes. They are only referred like that but they are not. All my clothes are good. Mom calls them junk because of the funky images and messages that they carry or the prints.

These are my prized possessions and I love them. Some face the end and some get to stay back. J


I am linking this post to A to Z Challenge #Day 10 for alphabet J. 

1 comment:




Debjani Baidyaray