Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Advertisements: The Art of Story Telling

Wow! The first post of the A to Z challenge is ready and here it goes.

This series will be about different aspects of me as a person and for alphabet A, I have chosen advertisements. You love them, yet you hate them! You want to watch a handful of your favourite ones, and yet wish they don’t hamper or eat time out of the other favourite one running along because it appears more important.

Also termed as television commercials, these are those 30 second stories that can either sweep you off your feet with their concepts, leave you asking for more when it unravels its story in sequels, or simply tell you, it was a mere promotional activity. I have grown up watching these advertisements from childhood and would wait for the commercial breaks. Advertisements have been my source of entertainment as I would enact the lines from the popular ones in front of the mirror and get to know of the new products. But what advertisements have really contributed in my life is the sense of story-telling in a very crisp manner. How to build a story for a brand with an appropriate message for the public and is high on entertainment value.

As a professional in the field of Brand and Business Communication, my mind always craves for the good creative ideas and what better than commercials: print, electronic or digital.

Some of the brands whose advertisements which I like are of Tanishq (jwellery retail from Tata Enterprises), Cadburys, Surf Excel, Vodafone Zoozoo, Tata Sky and Flipkart. You can watch some of the funniest advertisements for Indian brands:

This post will remain incomplete without the mention of Amul’s print ads. Check them below:











So, that’s me! A post on how advertisements keep influencing and entertaining me and what I gain out of them.

   


11 comments:

  1. ohh ya,ads are the best part of TV viewing nowadays ;)
    Well i too had written about it and this gives a chuckle everytime i read it...you can check it out here (http://uniqusatya.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/advertisement-an-enchantment/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you for reading the post. And your post is simply amazing! That's exactly what Indian advertisements are all about! :) Happy A-Z Challenge!

      Delete
  2. unusual concept for the challenge- love your ingenuity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for reading the post. The contest just gave me a platform to talk about myself alphabetically rather than drafting an About Me section! ;)

      Delete
  3. It is amazing how we still remember the jingles and tag lines from commercials over 30 years ago (well I am that old anyway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Thank you for reading the post. Even I remember the ones that got aired in my childhood. You feel young when you remember them, don't you? Certain things that don't allow you to get older! :D

      Delete
  4. I recently entertained myself on a long car trip by singing all the jingles I could remember from cigarette commercials from when I was a child (the last commercial aired on American tv in 1971, after which they were banned). For the record, watching the commercials and singing the songs never turned me into a cigarette smoker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dyanne!Thank you for reading the post. Ads are simple and quick entertainments and should not be taken seriously unless it comes with a relevant social message. Good that the ads didn't turn into a smoker! :) Take care.

      Delete
  5. Ohh I love the Amul Ads and also all the Bingo Ads... some find them irritating but i love them
    Tina from The Sunny Side of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I love the Bingo ads, better than Lays. Some unusual and crazy concepts and its a hit! :)

      Delete
  6. The Amul ads have been a favourite for many years now.
    One ad I was impressed by recently is the Google ad.

    ReplyDelete




Debjani Baidyaray