Thursday, June 5, 2014

Television Serials and Sitcoms

A few good things always cheer you up. For me, television serials and sitcoms are one of the many of those good things. These are not real and imaginary, but they somehow become a part of my daily existence. The characters do not know me, but I know them as I do my family members.

My association with television serials started with the epics, Mahabharata and Ramayana that were shown every Sunday mornings from 10:00 am. As children, we were instructed to maintain pin drop silence and listen to the characters speak. It didn’t matter that I understand what they said, but the grandeur and the connect that my family members showed with these two shows were enough for us to watch it quietly. These were followed by the weekly serials that, as children, were allowed to watch: Dekh Bhai Dekh and Zabaan Sambhal Ke (Mind your language). These were the comedy serials made appropriately for family viewing.

With time and introduction of cable channels, I got hooked to the other new ones. These were I dream of Genie and other English sitcoms dubbed in Hindi, Hum Paanch, Kyunki Saans Bhi Bahu Thi, Kutumb, Kahin to Hoga and the many other Ekta Kapoor serials. I got hooked to them so badly that every time the favourite characters cried or were in bad situations created by the evil characters, I used to get upset and waited for the next episode to see what happened to them.


Progressing from the Hindi serials, the western ones that caught attention included Friends, The Big Bang Theory, How I met your mother, Grey’s Anatomy, etc. And with YouTube and multiple television update websites, I do need a television to watch them. I now use the idiot box more for the movies and other programmes that sounded boring sometime back. However, the love for serials and sitcoms still continue. Guess, the art of dramatic story telling is difficult to let go of from this brain. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment




Debjani Baidyaray