Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pens or keyboards?

Hello,
I was just now reading an article on how keyboards are slowly replacing the habit of handwriting. This is something which I have been experiencing myself for quite some time. Since childhood, I was asked to take care of my handwriting and make it look good always because it fetches good impression from people who read it. I even received an award for the “best handwriting “in school. My mother especially has been very particular about this. But as time passed by, computers and writing with the help of keyboards have replaced this. Whenever I dream to write something, whether it is my research paper or any article for my workplace, I do not imagine myself using those pens which I longed for as a child but the keypad in my laptop. Surprisingly, even my professors want us to submit papers in printouts rather than handwritten stuff. Well, I do not know whether I should be calling this a technological advancement and progression towards a new faster world or losing out on the opportunities to show my handwriting and using different colourful pens for writing them. I myself cannot differentiate nowadays, which one is easier and faster also. Using the pen or the keyboard? Though we can’t deny the benefits of using Microsoft Word while we write (it checks your grammar and spellings immediately and saves you from getting those red marks) but what about those times when you are in a meeting and need to jot down notes? Ahhaaa…..you need pens there. So thankfully, you cannot replace the pens so easily! At least, I won’t, not in the near future. Because “pens have been mightier than the sword” and will continue to be.

4 comments:

  1. Hey that's a very nice writeup..
    n that too on something that we conveniently tend to overlook..it got me thinking ..n it reminded me of the days when i used to look forward to using a fountain pen.. in the fifth grade... hehe..n now i wonder if anyone even owns a fountain pen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one DJ!!
    Nowdays technology has replaced our pens,which were once considered priced possessions..Its also sad to see today that when given a chance to write people often end up writing slow...in other words their writing speed and maybe the thinking that used to come while writing has gradually disappered...

    ReplyDelete
  3. u know dj, the way one can think while writing it can never be the same with typing. there is a connection between the pen (or the brush) and the mind. and that's why after i've written my experiences in my diary, i feel relaxed, it can never happen that way with typing.Typing is for formal matters and i think will remain that way. but however, nowadays i feel a blog s as mighty as a pen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hie DJu,
    missing your pen haan..??
    like u said we do need it while taking quick notes. But more than that I think it gives a personal touch to your content as opposed to the standardized and well formatted print outs. As for our professors, print outs are a boon, sparing them all hard work they go through in trying to make sense out of our "writing"
    I miss pens the most in letters and cards. E-mails are just so formal and so are e-cards, however decked up they are with music n animations, they cannot simply replace the (attempted)calligraphy !!! We know what it looks like in the end...!!! hehe

    ReplyDelete




Debjani Baidyaray